Yesterday morning we went with Rocsana, the head of the orphanage and a few of the children to go purchase uniforms so they would be allowed to attend school. As is the theme for this trip, nothing went quite as we planned it. After arriving at the orphanage and saying goodbyes to the kids who go to school in the afternoons, we walked about a mile and a half to the first school, where we were to buy 5 ties and 5 jackets for the children.
| Luciano and Maysa |
| Saying goodbye to Gino and Ronal |
When we got inside the school, these two women who should have nothing to do with children, verbally assaulted Mario and Christian, Rocsana, and ourselves. They said the children weren't disallowed because of uniforms, and it was because they didn't have transfer papers from a previous school. They called the children liars, said they didn't do homework, and said they were talking to a bunch of ignorants. With all of the commotion of recess, I didn't really follow the conversation completely, and I'm thankful that I didn't. I would've slapped a bitch. Maysa, however, didn't hold her tongue and tore into the teachers. They were more concerned with following a protocol than with providing a child, five children, with an education. They just see the children as paperwork and didn't show any empathy for the situation. It takes a lot of nerve and no love to attack a mother of 18 children, only 3 of whom are actually hers, who works sun up to past sun down trying to love and nurture as best she can. But, of course, it's her fault that she can't track down the kids' parents halfway across the country to get their past school records. Maybe she should just do it in her free time....suffice to say it was frustrating. We finally talked to a woman interested in helping get the kids back to school. We purchased the ties, but had to go somewhere else to get the vests made for them. The last woman we talked to let us know that the teachers had said the kids couldn't attend school without uniforms and said she'd write a note excusing them from wearing uniforms for a week while we got theirs made. We then walked to the school that Cliber and Carlitos attend to get ties for them and a vest for Cliber. He was so excited to complete his uniform.
| Cliber with his new vest...he was so excited! |
- Z
I have never called someone a pig and actually meant it. The guy was disgusting in every way. He doesn't believe in poverty, he believes the children should work for their uniforms. He wasn't happy that we were buying it for them. As he started walking away from us, I called him back and said, "Give me Christian's papers so he can go to school!" He said, "70 soles." I asked Zach to pay it, but the mama of the orphanage told us not to, she is going to take the defense of the people there, she was not going to give him a penny over ten soles. That's when he started walking away. What I actually said was, "He's a pig, that's what he is!" I meant it too. He is a disgusting pig. Anyone who takes advantage of orphan children is a dirty pig. At the school, the teachers were telling us what bad kids the children were, what a bad mother Rocsana was, how the children didn't pay the eight soles for the party they had on mother's day, etc... I tried reasoning with them. I told them that Rocsana had 18 children, that sometimes they had no food to eat or gas to cook their food. I told them that there was no way Rocsana could be on top of everything, and she definitely didn't have money to pay for parties. I told them they should allow the ids in school. They called us ignorant. They said, "Are we talking to a bunch of ignorants here? There are mothers who have ten children and they have their uniforms and documents." That's when I responded, "You say you're talking to a bunch of ignorants, but I am the one talking to ignorants. You're ignorant. There is no comparison between these children who have no parents, nobody to stand up for them, and children with parents. These are orphans. You should be trying to help them instead of attacking them. Instead of running your mouth and criticizing, why don't you go to their house and volunteer? Help them do their homework. I see you're good at talking, how about some action?" They were pissed! Jerks, aholes! My heart hurts for the children. I'm glad they got to see someone standing up for them. I'm sorry I called the guy a pig in front of them, but hey... it came so naturally. Back to Zach!
-M
After all of this, we did manage to get all of the kids their ties, we're getting the jackets made for the kids, we got the vest we needed, one of the buzos we needed, and we're getting the other one made. They're such good kids, and some of them are very intelligent for their ages as well, I just hope they get the opportunities they deserve in school. We also gave Rocsana some money to buy something nice for herself. She works so hard with the children all of the time, she deserves to be able to treat herself every once in a while.
| Jhonathan trying on his new buza |
| Donations for San Juan de Dios |
| Our 'al gusto' pizza |
No comments:
Post a Comment