| They made us a going away present. How sweet! |
10 Kilos of sugar
60 eggs
9 liters of milk
15 bars of soap
12 tubes of toothpaste
40 rolls of bread
10 Kilos of oatmeal
3 2L containers of strawberry yougurt
6 kilos of hot dogs
2 kilos of butter
Treats for the kids
Fruits and vegetables
1 whole cake
The cab driver charged us seven soles to take us to the orphanage, the usual price is three soles. We decided to take the cab anyways because we had waaay too much to carry. We were greeted at the orphanage by a storm of children screaming, "Hermanito, hermanito!" Two of them jumped on Zach while the others started helping with the groceries. There was a little girl, I'm guessing she is three, carrying milk inside. My heart felt so content to see the children so happy with food, and to see their excitement as they received our gift. There are many children at the orphanage, they are all extremely loving. I noticed that all their clothes are dirty and they are starved for attention. At every moment of our visit there was someone hanging on our necks. Since it was Zach's last day we decided to bring the children treats. We brought them chocolate wafers, caramelos, and cake. When we noticed the sugar kicking in, we decided to take them outside to play. Zach played with them for a some time while I stayed inside and talked to the lady who runs the orphanage. Brace yourself, this is very sad. Most of the kids who are at the orphanage have been raped. David, the autistic boy, was found beaten and raped on a street. He was taken to the orphanage by one of the workers and has lived there since. Cezar has also been raped, and Felipe... The list goes on. I had to swallow to hold back the tears. What type of monster would hurt innocent children? My heart breaks when I think of everything these children have been through, and what they're going through now. Last week, Zach had to buy gas for them to cook their food because they had no money. Seven of the little boys haven't been to school in a week because they have incomplete uniforms. The mom of the orphanage was telling me that the most difficult times for the children are Christmas and Mother's Day. She said that during Christmas time the bigger children will just stay in their rooms. She tries to get them out but they want to stay in bed... and they cry a lot.
I cried all the way home. I couldn't help it. It's too much suffering for innocent creatures, they're so little. Zach and I decided that we want to send them Christmas gifts, even if we buy them toys at Thrift Town. We want to do anything we possibly can to make their lives a little happier. Tomorrow we're going to meet the mama at 10:00 AM to buy the children their school uniforms. It is so interesting that the uniforms are going to cost $302.00 soles, and we have exactly $300.00 soles left of our donation money. I guess that's all I have to say for now. Check out our pictures. Good night to you all.
-M
| Some of the food delivery to the orphanage. |
| Ever, 13, son of the mama of the orphanage coming to greet us and help bring in groceries. |
| All the hermanitos helping bring stuff inside. |
| The spread laid out on the table. |
| Cesar and Christiano were pretty stoked |
| Flabia and Zach enjoying dulces |
| Sharing dried apricots with David, 17. |
| Cesar is enjoying some treats, while I'm checking out a hot camerawoman! |
| Luciano, 5, enjoying his wafers |
| GROUP HUG! |
| Soccer outside with Christian, Felipe, Cliber, Ronal, and Mario |
| Group pictures for last day. |
| Adios, hermanitos! |
No comments:
Post a Comment