Sunday, May 27, 2012

Back from Machu Picchu

So, this time I decided I wanted to have fun, to see everything Peru has to offer. Last time I was here I took on two projects, and did my own work on the side. I didn't go to Machu Piccho, Lake Titicaca or Puno. Actually, last time I didn't do much of anything. I'm wondering if that is why I didn't see all the ugliness I'm seeing this time. To say the truth, I am really disappointed. I wouldn't recommend people coming to Cusco for travel. Today alone, we were lied to and taken advantage of about three times. I don't remember these things happening here before. As a foreigner, you walk around with a big dollar sign stamped on your forehead. You are nothing but an opportunity for a quick buck. If someone smiles or calls you "amigo," watch out, they're trying to sell you something for double its worth.

We booked our trip through a travel agency downtown. We were told to wait for the bus in front of a major supermarket here in Cusco. We were there on time, they were late. We decided to go into a coffee shop to buy some coffee while we waited. While we were inside, the bus arrived. The lady came inside rushing us, "Vamonos seƱorita, por favor. Deja el cafe!" We had to leave our coffee only to be rushed into the bus like cattle. I do not have words to describe the road that we took to get there. I was afraid for my life. If was a dirt road, with no side rails, and no curb. Something straight out of a horror movie. We were at about 10,000 feet above see level, circling mountains to get to Machu Picchu, and the damn driver was speeding. Mr. Fr. I don't know what gives these people the right to risk our lives. Tourists are treated as if they are stupid, people try to fool you left and right. They take advantage of the fact that you don't know, or they assume you don't know how things work, and how much things are really supposed to cost. It's ugly. It's shameful. We went to eat at a restaurant and had 25% of the value of our meal added to our tab for a "service charge," when I asked the guy about it he said everybody charges it. Liar. We went to two neighboring restaurants, people here charge 10%. We went back and he wouldn't give us our money back. It's ok, we're going to cancel the transaction on the credit card. There are people who see things happening and they come and apologize to us, but nothing makes it better. There is no worst feeling than that of being taken advantage of, of trusting someone's word, only to realize they were trying to make a quick buck. What a shame. I hope people realize that this attitude and behavior is not helping them, this is going to drive tourists away. As for us, our suggestion is, if you have the opportunity to travel, go somewhere you'll be respected, don't come here. I feel sad for Cusco and extremely disappointed. We are not sure we want to come back here again, we are that pissed off. We have talked about it, helping people was the only thing that made our stay here worthwhile, the rest of the time we were too pissed off to enjoy ourselves.

We're going to focus on our projects for the remainder of the time here, we have to make a difference in innocent children's lives. We understand that it is not their fault people are treating us the way they are. I know that the number of volunteers in Cusco is going to decline if things continue this way, it makes me sad for the children. Oh well, what can we do? I hate to see all this ugliness, can't wait to be back home.

-M

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,
    Heard you guys were on this amazing adventure. I just wanted to stop in and say I'm proud of you and quite envious of your wonderful experience (except the sick part). I didn't get a chance to read all of your blog wanted to stop in and show you my support. Congrats to the two of you and have a safe trip back.

    ReplyDelete