Monday, May 14, 2012

Projects Day One

Interesting day today, I had a "what the f am I doing here" moment. It is so frustrating when we come here as volunteers and we feel like people are just trying to rip us off all the time. I guess it is to be expected, Cusco is a tourist town after all. When we walk into a store we get charged double the price of what the locals get charged. Jasmine and I visited our project today, we had to go out and buy lab coats because we forgot to bring ours. The lady at the store charged us 30 Soles for a lab coat. We knew she was ripping us off because she had a smirk on her face and wouldn't look us in the eye. I told Jasmine in Spanish, "Let's go to this other place where I bought supplies last time, I'm sure they'll be cheaper." The lady was visibly upset and lectured us about the different quality of products. Well, I told Jasmine, "I don't care if I have to pay the extra cab fare, I will not allow this woman to do this to us, this is stealing." SO we left to go to the other place. Turns out I couldn't remember where the place was, I asked the guy in the cab if he would take us home, he told me yes, but charged us double the price. When I told him that wasn't fair, he told us we could get out of his cab. That is when I had the "What the f%$# am I doing here" moment. We stopped a guy down the street and he told us he would take us to the medical supply store for a "propina," I said yes, what else could go wrong? On the way I complained to him, I told him we were volunteers, that we came here with an open heart to help people but that everyone just saw us as an opportunity to make a buck. I told him I was thinking about not coming back to volunteer. Well, he helped us find the store, wouldn't take a propina from us, and he went in to ask for the price before the clerk saw us. Take a guess of how much we paid for the same lab coats? 18 Soles each. We bought two for 36 Soles.
It is frustrating to try to help people when you're getting ripped off. Today I am thankful for Jasmine and Zach's presence. When I complained to Jasmine about the whole thing and about never wanting to come here again, she told me not to worry about those people, we are here on a mission and we have to think about the children. She told me that she believes in Karma and all we can do is our best, if people choose to take advantage of us, then they will for sure pay for it, but still she wished them well. She told me that she is blessed and I am blessed, that money comes and money goes. Jasmine believes that we are always blessed because we have a kind heart. She wants to do so much more. She wants to help many children. After talking we concluded that in life what makes us happy is loving one another and helping others. We wouldn't be happy if we had the opportunity to help someone and didn't do it. Jasmine said we are all brothers and sisters and if we each just did a little bit the world would be a better place. We should be thinking of the children anyways. Zach arrived right after our talk, I am so proud of him. First thing he said to me was, "Don't touch me!" When I asked him why, he said he had children hanging on him all afternoon. He was reeeeeeaaally dirty. I'll let him talk about his project, but what he told me and the difference he is making and will make with his mere presence is so amazing to me. I'm glad I have them to support me on this difficult day.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment